In Falling Snow 
This is a beautifully written fictionalised account of the women who started a hospital in Royaumont Abbey in France during World War I. The story is told in parallel narrative, switching back and forth from wartime France to Brisbane in the 70s. The ageing Iris receives an invitation to attend a reunion at Royaumont and decides to go, even though some painful memories await her. Her adult grand-daughter Grace is dealing with her own problems and there's an interesting interplay between the two.
I just had the pleasure of meeting Mary-Rose at 4BC and just finished "In Falling Snow". A truly delightful book with engaging characters and a captivating story.

This book was OK, but I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in it. First the positives: This book has a lot of tragedy in it, and I thought the author dealt with the grief and sorrow of her characters as well as any author I've read. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with someone who has conveyed grieving better.I also think the characters themselves were well-drawn and believable. I was particularly impressed with Iris Crane, who matured from a naïve girl to a grown woman during the course
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Visit my blog for your chance to win a copy of this wonderful novel!In 1914 Iris Crane, a young nurse from Brisbane, arrives in Paris on a mission from her father: find her fifteen-year-old brother, Tom, and bring him home before he gets killed. Instead, Iris finds herself enlisted by the incredibly charismatic Dr Frances Ivens, who convinces Iris to help her set up a new hospital run entirely by women at Royaumont, an old abandoned abbey north of Paris. Since the last word she'd heard from her
This was historical fiction set in WWI times. I haven't read as much WWI historical fiction as WWII, so this was nice to read something different. Even though this takes place during war time, it wasn't about that at all. It was about the people and the decisions they made to navigate this turbulent time. The characters were well drawn. I liked them all too, especially Iris and Grace. They were the ones with a story to tell. I was pulled into their stories, but I will say, that this book was
Mary-Rose MacColl
Kindle Edition | Pages: 447 pages Rating: 3.86 | 3103 Users | 446 Reviews

Present Books Conducive To In Falling Snow
| Original Title: | In Falling Snow ASIN B00BQZGNNG |
| Edition Language: | English |
Relation To Books In Falling Snow
A vivid and compelling story of love, war and secrets, set against the backdrop of WWI France. 'In the beginning, it was the summers I remembered - long warm days under the palest blue skies, the cornflowers and forget-me-nots lining the road through the Lys forest, the buzz of insects going about their work, Violet telling me lies.' Iris is getting old. A widow, her days are spent living quietly and worrying about her granddaughter, Grace, a headstrong young doctor. It's a small sort of life. But one day an invitation comes for Iris through the post to a reunion in France, where she served in a hospital during WWI. Determined to go, Iris is overcome by the memories of the past, when as a shy, naive young woman she followed her fifteen-year-old brother, Tom, to France in 1914 intending to bring him home. On her way to find Tom, Iris comes across the charismatic Miss Ivens, who is setting up a field hospital in the old abbey of Royaumont, north of Paris. Putting her fears aside, Iris decides to stay at Royaumont, and it is there that she truly comes of age, finding her capability and her strength, discovering her passion for medicine, making friends with the vivacious Violet and falling in love. But war is a brutal thing, and when the ultimate tragedy happens, there is a terrible price that Iris has to pay, a price that will echo down the generations. A moving and uplifting novel about the small, unsung acts of heroism of which love makes us capable.Describe About Books In Falling Snow
| Title | : | In Falling Snow |
| Author | : | Mary-Rose MacColl |
| Book Format | : | Kindle Edition |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 447 pages |
| Published | : | March 25th 2013 by Allison & Busby (first published 2012) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Cultural. France. War. World War I |
Rating About Books In Falling Snow
Ratings: 3.86 From 3103 Users | 446 ReviewsCriticize About Books In Falling Snow
Visit my blog for your chance to win a copy of this wonderful novel!In 1914 Iris Crane, a young nurse from Brisbane, arrives in Paris on a mission from her father: find her fifteen-year-old brother, Tom, and bring him home before he gets killed. Instead, Iris finds herself enlisted by the incredibly charismatic Dr Frances Ivens, who convinces Iris to help her set up a new hospital run entirely by women at Royaumont, an old abandoned abbey north of Paris. Since the last word she'd heard from herThis is a beautifully written fictionalised account of the women who started a hospital in Royaumont Abbey in France during World War I. The story is told in parallel narrative, switching back and forth from wartime France to Brisbane in the 70s. The ageing Iris receives an invitation to attend a reunion at Royaumont and decides to go, even though some painful memories await her. Her adult grand-daughter Grace is dealing with her own problems and there's an interesting interplay between the two.
I just had the pleasure of meeting Mary-Rose at 4BC and just finished "In Falling Snow". A truly delightful book with engaging characters and a captivating story.

This book was OK, but I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in it. First the positives: This book has a lot of tragedy in it, and I thought the author dealt with the grief and sorrow of her characters as well as any author I've read. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with someone who has conveyed grieving better.I also think the characters themselves were well-drawn and believable. I was particularly impressed with Iris Crane, who matured from a naïve girl to a grown woman during the course
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Visit my blog for your chance to win a copy of this wonderful novel!In 1914 Iris Crane, a young nurse from Brisbane, arrives in Paris on a mission from her father: find her fifteen-year-old brother, Tom, and bring him home before he gets killed. Instead, Iris finds herself enlisted by the incredibly charismatic Dr Frances Ivens, who convinces Iris to help her set up a new hospital run entirely by women at Royaumont, an old abandoned abbey north of Paris. Since the last word she'd heard from her
This was historical fiction set in WWI times. I haven't read as much WWI historical fiction as WWII, so this was nice to read something different. Even though this takes place during war time, it wasn't about that at all. It was about the people and the decisions they made to navigate this turbulent time. The characters were well drawn. I liked them all too, especially Iris and Grace. They were the ones with a story to tell. I was pulled into their stories, but I will say, that this book was


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.